Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Week 1 Slide Show!

I have finished the orientation for my program in Japan.  Last week I had 11 hours of Japanese language class and now I can speak a little Japanese! 

My orientation included lectures about Japanese science and culture.  My two favorite lectures where on traditional Japanese music and on the history of genetics in Japan.



instruments from left to right: koto, shamisen (or sangen), shakuhachi

 I tried to play the koto... and failed.  It is very hard!

During the lecture, we heard pieces that ranged from very traditional to more modern.  The most modern piece was in the western style of variation on a theme.  To my western ear, it was definitely the most enjoyable (as well as the most complex!). 

During the lecture on history of genetics in Japan, we learned that genetics in Japan grew out of wheat genetics.  Science in Japan is marked with feeling extreme pressure to "catch up" with the western world.  Language as well as politics have been barriers in this regard.  Today, Japan is well recognized in science and many international meetings are held there.  Later this summer in Kyoto, I will attend an international meeting for evolutionary biology.

Over the weekend, I had a home stay with a family living in Yokohama.  We visited a variety of sites in Kamakura and Tokyo.  Here are a few of my favorite shots!


Meigestsu-in Temple, Kamakura

Zeniarai Benten Shrine, Kamakura

Kamakura

Daibutsu, Kamakura

Meiji Shrine, Tokyo
Meji Shrine, Tokyo
Yoyogi Park, Tokyo
Yoyogi Park, Tokyo

Yoyogi Park, Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment